#image from video Cậu Vàng Phú Quý by Tùng Khỉ
#Solo#Marathon is looking for young artists who are experimenting with new ideas and techniques, and engaging with long-term research on a specific topic.
#Solo#Marathon is a program of 6 consecutive solo open-studios, run by Á Space and commencing March 2019, in response to the lack of space and opportunities for Vietnamese artists to experiment and display their art in Vietnam in an open process . This program seeks artists willing to be challenged on their concepts and mediums, who understand that to exhibit their work demands consideration of their audience, how their art creates connections to the public, and that it should stimulate dialogue with the wider art world.
In 2019, there will be 6 opportunities for 6 young Vietnamese artists to undertake a solo open-studio process at Á Space. Each project will last a month, presenting from the beginning to the end of one calendar month. Each selected artist will work/present at Á Space, with one public Open-Studio event, and otherwise viewable by appointment.
Our appointed jury consists of Rory Gill (Collector of contemporary Asian Art/ Co-founder of Á Space), Lê Dụng Hiệp (Technology engineer/Co-founder of Á Space), Tuấn Mami (Interdisciplinary artist/ Co-founder of Á Space and Nhà Sàn Collective), Nguyễn Phương Linh (Visual artist/ Co-founder of Nhà Sàn Collective), Nguyễn Kim Tố Lan (Visual artist/ Co-founder of Sao La Collective and Cù Rú Bar)
Applications open from 13/12/ 2018 untill 29/01/2019
I. How to apply:
* Send all of the below documentation to email: email@example.com with subject line: #SOLO#MARATHON 2019 APPLICATION. Applications are admissible in either English or Vietnamese.
1. Provide no more than 5 images of previous works (each image in JPG format and no larger than 1MB); In case, your works belong to one of categories such as Performance, Video, moving image or sound art, you can provide online-links of your works instead; all the art works have to go with details such as title, year, medium and statement.
2. Provide no more than 5 images of proposed project for #Solo#Marathon (each image in JPG format and no larger than 1MB). In case, your works belong to one of categories such as Performance, Video, moving image or sound art, you can provide online-links of your works instead; If artwork is yet to be produced, please provide detailed sketch/or detailed introduction of the proposed work
3. Your proposed project for #Solo#Marathon (describe what your work is about and explain how the choice of medium is connected to your idea and subject) in PDF
4. Artist CV with up to date exhibition history in PDF
5. Artist statement and description of proposal (300 words maximum) in PDF
6. A selection of your choice(s) of time schedule (in part VIII); in PDF
II. Who is eligible?
– Vietnamese artists (Include Vietnamese’s living abroad)
– Artists from 20-30 years old
III. What are we looking for in the artist as applicant?
– Artists demonstrating experimentation with concept and technique.
– Artists with an interest in long term research-based projects
– Willingness to work/ present their works improvisationally within Á space
IV. Á Space dimensions and facilities?
– 3 rooms in ground floor (size of each room: 3m(large) x 5m(long) X 3m(high))
– 1 shared office space
– rooftop garden 1 (size: 6mx11m)
– rooftop garden 2 (size: 5mx 7m)
V. What sort of art forms are eligible?
– Visual art on 2D, 3D (painting, photography, digital image)
– Video Art, Moving image
– Sound Art
– Light Art
VI. What does Á Space provide?
– 500 USD/ per project
– 1 opening party
– Audio-Visual equipment (limited)
– Support and guidance on technology, technical development, information, and arts. (in discussion)
– Artists also could chose to stay in studio if she/he wants ( 01 sofa, 01 kitchen, 01 toilet and shower/ in shared space)
VII. What are the responsibilities of the successful applicant?
– Work independently and commit to being Á Space for a minimum of 20 days during the program.
– To work effectively and collaboratively with Á Space in a timely fashion, adhering to schedule, and supply information on organizing process and Open-studio.
– To provide a public program (e.g talk, workshop, etc.) during Open-Studio at Á Space.
VIII. What are the opening dates for #Solo#Marathon programs in 2019?
#Solo#Marathon no1: from 01/03/2019 to 30/03/2019 – [Yes/No]
#Solo#Marathon no2: from 01/04/2019 to 30/04/2019 – [Yes/No]
#Solo#Marathon no3: from 01/05/2019 to 30/05/2019 – [Yes/No]
#Solo#Marathon no4: from 01/06/2019 to 30/06/2019 – [Yes/No]
#Solo#Marathon no5: from 01/07/2019 to 30/07/2019 – [Yes/No]
#Solo#Marathon no6: from 01/08/2019 to 30/08/2019 – [Yes/No]
Please select your preferred time schedule(s) by choosing (yes or no) in case you are selected. (more choices are welcome)
We will send you our result of your application by 15.02.2019 via email. For further enquiries, please contact via email: firstname.lastname@example.org