In the current shifting artistic landscapes, #SoloMarathon is Á Space’s long-term commitment to nurturing the next generation of art practitioners (including artists, curators, writers, and researchers alike) through an annual residency program. We seek individuals who welcome challenges, are open to expanding their concerns and artistic media in their practices—those who understand that displaying their art means to take careful considerations of the specificity of site, locality and its audience, and also means that their art can be in dialogue with other artistic contexts internationally. Over the last 4 years, Á Space is so grateful to be a platform for over 25 artists and curators in their bold and promising experimentations.
In this year’s Solo Marathon 2023, Á Space is overjoyed to introduce the two duos that will participate in our program:
- #SoloMarathon2023 no.1 (from July to October 2023) with the participation of artist Nguyễn Thị Diệp and guest curator Lê Thuận Uyên (Artistic Director of The Outpost) that further expands on the artist’s long-term interests and experiments leading to her first solo exhibition tentatively in October
- #SoloMarathon2023 no.2 (from November 2023 to February 2024) with the participation of Nguyễn Vũ Trụ and Nguyễn Hái Hoa (Quỳnh Chi) that delves into their project ‘All About Love: New Visions’
In this year’s #SoloMarathon:
- Selected artists and curators will have 3 months of working at Á Space to develop a proposal for a solo exhibition, with a grant production and exhibition-making fund, technical and professional support from Á Space’s team and advisors, access to all equipment, facilities as well as all Á’s spaces including artist-in-residence space, library, and working studios at Á.
- Selected artists and curators will work together in the incubation of ideas and development of the desired exhibition and related satellite programs (community events, open studios, artist talks, critique sessions, etc.)
- Instead of the selection process through “open calls”, artists and curators in this 2023 edition will be selected through an invitation from Á Space based on our belief in the potential of the on-going projects, the current status of the projects along with their financial and professional demands, as well as the compatibility with Á Space’s current capacity.